The potential use of stem cells as therapy for failing organ systems is being explored in diverse organ and tissue injury areas. It has been shown that bone marrow-derived stem cells can transdifferentiate into a variety of adult cell types, including hepatocytes [
- Jiang Y.
- Jahagirdar B.N.
- Reinhardt R.L.
- et al.
Pluripotency of mesenchymal stem cells derived from adult marrow.
Nature. 2002; 418: 41-49
- Petersen B.E.
- Bowen W.C.
- Patrene K.D.
- et al.
Bone marrow as a potential source of hepatic oval cells.
Science. 1999; 284: 1168-1170
- Lagasse E.
- Connors H.
- Al-Dhalimy M.
- et al.
Purified hematopoietic stem cells can differentiate into hepatocytes in vivo.
Nat Med. 2000; 6: 1229-1234
- Theise N.D.
- Badve S.
- Saxena R.
- et al.
Derivation of hepatocytes from bone marrow cells in mice after radiation-induced myeloablation.
Hepatology. 2000; 31: 235-240
5]. Applications for hematopoietic stem cells and cytokines aimed at mobilizing stem cells in other organs have been assessed with benefit shown in myocardial ischemia [
- Theise N.D.
- Nimmakayalu M.
- Gardner R.
- et al.
Liver from bone marrow in humans.
Hepatology. 2000; 32: 11-16
- Leone A.M.
- Rutella S.
- Bonanno G.
- et al.
Endogenous G-CSF and CD34+ cell mobilization after acute myocardial infarction.
Int J Cardiol. 2006; 111: 202-208
7] and acute kidney injury [
- Achilli F.
- Malafronte C.
- Lenatti L.
- et al.
Granulocyte colony-stimulating factor attenuates left ventricular remodeling after acute anterior STEMI: results of the single-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled multicentre STem cEll Mobilization in Acute Myocardial Infarction (STEM-AMI) Trial.
Eur J Heart Fail. 2010; 12: 1111-1121
]. The aim of this review is to assess the emerging evidence for the role of stem cells in assisting the acutely failing liver.
- Stokman G.
- Leemans J.C.
- Claessen N.
- et al.
Hematopoietic stem cell mobilization therapy accelerates recovery of renal function independent of stem cell contribution.
J Am Soc Nephrol. 2005; 16: 1684-1692
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Advances in Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Pluripotency of mesenchymal stem cells derived from adult marrow.Nature. 2002; 418: 41-49
- Bone marrow as a potential source of hepatic oval cells.Science. 1999; 284: 1168-1170
- Purified hematopoietic stem cells can differentiate into hepatocytes in vivo.Nat Med. 2000; 6: 1229-1234
- Derivation of hepatocytes from bone marrow cells in mice after radiation-induced myeloablation.Hepatology. 2000; 31: 235-240
- Liver from bone marrow in humans.Hepatology. 2000; 32: 11-16
- Endogenous G-CSF and CD34+ cell mobilization after acute myocardial infarction.Int J Cardiol. 2006; 111: 202-208
- Granulocyte colony-stimulating factor attenuates left ventricular remodeling after acute anterior STEMI: results of the single-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled multicentre STem cEll Mobilization in Acute Myocardial Infarction (STEM-AMI) Trial.Eur J Heart Fail. 2010; 12: 1111-1121
- Hematopoietic stem cell mobilization therapy accelerates recovery of renal function independent of stem cell contribution.J Am Soc Nephrol. 2005; 16: 1684-1692
- Liver transplantation for fulminant hepatic failure: experience with more than 200 patients over a 17-year period.Ann Surg. 2003; 237 ([discussion: 675–6]): 666-675
- Prognostic evaluation of early indicators in fulminant hepatic failure by multivariate analysis.Dig Dis Sci. 1998; 43: 1311-1316
- Causes of death in fulminant hepatic failure and relationship to quantitative histological assessment of parenchymal damage.Q J Med. 1975; 44: 615-626
- Use and outcome of liver transplantation in acetaminophen-induced acute liver failure.Hepatology. 1998; 27: 1050-1055
- Acute liver failure.N Engl J Med. 1993; 329: 1862-1872
- Early indicators of prognosis in fulminant hepatic failure.Gastroenterology. 1989; 97: 439-445
- Liver regeneration.Science. 1997; 276: 60-66
- Analysis of cell cycle compartments of hepatocytes after partial hepatectomy.Cell Tissue Kinet. 1976; 9: 517-532
- The extracellular matrix in hepatic regeneration.FASEB J. 1995; 9: 1401-1410
- Hepatocytes corrected by gene therapy are selected in vivo in a murine model of hereditary tyrosinaemia type I.Nat Genet. 1996; 12: 266-273
- Heterogeneity and plasticity of hepatocyte lineage cells.Hepatology. 2001; 33: 738-750
- The hepatic stem cell niche: identification by label-retaining cell assay.Hepatology. 2008; 47: 1994-2002
- Origin and structural evolution of the early proliferating oval cells in rat liver.Am J Pathol. 2001; 158: 1313-1323
- Side population cells in developing human liver are primarily haematopoietic progenitor cells.Exp Cell Res. 2009; 315: 2141-2153
- Ductular hepatocytes.Histol Histopathol. 1995; 10: 433-456
- Characterizations of and interactions between bile ductule cells and hepatocytes in early stages of rat hepatocarcinogenesis induced by ethionine.Am J Pathol. 1991; 139: 1351-1368
- Transplanted bone marrow regenerates liver by cell fusion.Nature. 2003; 422: 901-904
- Immunomodulation of activated hepatic stellate cells by mesenchymal stem cells.Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2007; 363: 247-252
- Prospects for stem cell transplantation in the treatment of hepatic disease.Liver Transpl. 2010; 16: 827-836
- Stem cell biology and the plasticity polemic.Exp Hematol. 2005; 33: 389-394
- Molecular cloning of a cDNA encoding CD34, a sialomucin of human hematopoietic stem cells.J Immunol. 1992; 148: 267-271
- Mobilization of peripheral blood hematopoietic stem cells following liver resection surgery.Hepatogastroenterology. 2004; 51: 805-810
- No evidence of hematopoietic stem cell mobilization in patients submitted to hepatectomy or in patients with acute on chronic liver failure.Transplant Proc. 2005; 37: 2563-2566
- Partial hepatectomy induces mobilization of a unique population of haematopoietic progenitor cells in human healthy liver donors.J Hepatol. 2005; 43: 845-853
- Mobilization of bone marrow-derived hematopoietic and endothelial stem cells after orthotopic liver transplantation and liver resection.Stem Cells. 2006; 24: 2817-2825
- Plerixafor, a CXCR4 antagonist for the mobilization of hematopoietic stem cells.Expert Opin Biol Ther. 2008; 8: 1797-1804
- The role of cytotoxic therapy with hematopoietic stem cell transplantation in the therapy of diffuse large cell B-cell non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma: an evidence-based review.Biol Blood Marrow Transplant. 2001; 7: 308-331
- The use of AMD3100 plus G-CSF for autologous hematopoietic progenitor cell mobilization is superior to G-CSF alone.Blood. 2005; 106: 1867-1874
- Mobilization of hematopoietic progenitor cells in healthy volunteers by AMD3100, a CXCR4 antagonist.Blood. 2003; 102: 2728-2730
- Rapid mobilization of murine and human hematopoietic stem and progenitor cells with AMD3100, a CXCR4 antagonist.J Exp Med. 2005; 201: 1307-1318
- AMD3100 mobilizes hematopoietic stem cells with long-term repopulating capacity in nonhuman primates.Blood. 2006; 107: 3772-3778
- Current understanding of stem cell mobilization: the roles of chemokines, proteolytic enzymes, adhesion molecules, cytokines, and stromal cells.Exp Hematol. 2002; 30: 973-981
- Mutual, reciprocal SDF-1/CXCR4 interactions between hematopoietic and bone marrow stromal cells regulate human stem cell migration and development in NOD/SCID chimeric mice.Exp Hematol. 2006; 34: 967-975
- Stromal cell-derived factor-1 from biliary epithelial cells recruits CXCR4-positive cells: implications for inflammatory liver diseases.Lab Invest. 2003; 83: 665-672
- Hematopoietic stem cell trafficking in liver injury.FASEB J. 2005; 19: 1225-1231
- HGF, SDF-1, and MMP-9 are involved in stress-induced human CD34+ stem cell recruitment to the liver.J Clin Invest. 2003; 112: 160-169
- Serum levels of stem cell factor and thrombopoietin are markedly decreased in fulminant hepatic failure patients with a poor prognosis.J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2007; 22: 1265-1270
- Stem cell mobilization and collection in patients with liver cirrhosis.Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2008; 27: 932-939
- Safety and efficacy profile of G-CSF therapy in patients with acute on chronic liver failure.Dig Liver Dis. 2007; 39: 1071-1076
- Feasibility and safety of G-CSF administration to induce bone marrow-derived cells mobilization in patients with end stage liver disease.J Hepatol. 2006; 45: 13-19
- G-CSF-primed hematopoietic stem cells or G-CSF per se accelerate recovery and improve survival after liver injury, predominantly by promoting endogenous repair programs.Exp Hematol. 2005; 33: 108-119
- Transplanted endothelial progenitor cells ameliorate carbon tetrachloride-induced liver cirrhosis in rats.Liver Transpl. 2009; 15: 1092-1100
- Recruitment of host progenitor cells in rat liver transplants.Hepatology. 2009; 49: 587-597
- Generation of humanized animal livers using embryoid body-derived stem cell transplant.Ann Surg. 2008; 248: 487-493
- Stem cell mobilization is life saving in an animal model of acute liver failure.Ann Surg. 2010; 252: 591-596
- Prevention of left ventricular remodeling with granulocyte colony-stimulating factor after acute myocardial infarction: final 1-year results of the Front-Integrated Revascularization and Stem Cell Liberation in Evolving Acute Myocardial Infarction by Granulocyte Colony-Stimulating Factor (FIRSTLINE-AMI) Trial.Circulation. 2005; 112: I73-I80
Published online: July 13, 2011
Dr Cameron is a recipient of the American Surgical Association Foundation Fellowship Award as well as an extramural research grant from the Genzyme Corporation in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
© 2011 Elsevier Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.